Dataset Extents Plots
Below are a set of plots showing the extents of dataset coverage served up by geospatial web services (Specifically: Web Map Services (WMS), Web Coverage Services (WCS), Web Feature Services (WFS), and Web Map Tile Services (WMTS)) for various parts of the globe. These plots are created by using the extents that the datasets declare they cover. You can click on plots to see larger, more detailed maps for that area, including a spectral colour scheme which shows more detail (but isn't very asthetic).
These plots are regenerated every month.
Processing Limitations/CaveatsIn the spirit of good data science we want to highlight the caveats associated with these plots.
- Extents that are considered to have "Global" coverage are excluded from all plots (including the global plot). This is about 100,000+ extents.
- Only extents that are entirely within the plot extent are included.
- Extents are excluded where they fall entirely within -3 to +3 degrees for both latitude & longitude (i.e. they're bad data).
- Extents coordinates are all ceiling/floored to 2 decimal places, except for "Global" which is 1 decimal place. This means grid cells are around 1km2 (11km2 for Global).
- There is no interpolation.
- These plots use the bounding box extents self-declared by the datasets; they are not always correct but we have no way of validating them.
- Includes dataset extents for all of: WMS, WFS, WCS, and WMTS.
- Colour scaling is linear.
- These are regenerated with every index update.
LicensingThese plots and the entire content of this page are licensed under CC-BY 4.0. Feel free to use them, but please link back to GeoSeer.
List of Plots
- Central America
- East Asia
- Iberian Peninsula
- Middle East
- North America
- South America
- Southeast Asia
- West Europe